This circular building opened in 1855 as part of the Butter Exchange. Its peculiar name is derived from the Danish word “firkin” for a nine gallon barrel of butter and “crane,” a type of weight used to measure butter. From 1924 through the 1970s, it was occupied by James Daly & Sons, a margarine manufacturer. After a devastating fire in 1980, it was restored and became the Institute of Choreography and Dance. Today, Firkin Crane remains dedicated to dance performances, training and research.