In 1630, Philip IV acquired a large tract of land adjacent to his Buen Retiro Palace. The private gardens for the royal family expanded until the end of Queen Isabella II’s reign in 1868. The following year, El Retiro became a large public park. The central west entrance is through the Puerta de Felipe IV. The gate was created in 1680 by architect Melchor de Bueras. In the foreground is the Garden of Parterre developed in 1722. The female form holding a theater mask is the Monument to Jacinto Benavente. This sculpture was cast by Victorio Macho in 1962. In the background is the east façade of the Casón del Buen Retiro. In 1637, it was the ballroom for Palacio del Buen Retiro. Now it is a Prado Museum annex.