You are standing below a former temple dedicated to Artemis, the Greek goddess of hunting and chastity. In the late 1st century, Saint John the Theologian wrote the Book of Revelation here. This was also the site of the Grand Royal Basilica, built in the 4th century and destroyed by the Muslims centuries later. All of these were incorporated into the Monastery of Saint John the Theologian on the hill. The monastery was established in 1088, finished at the turn of the 12th century and expanded several times through the 20th century. Most striking is the exterior of what the founder called “The Fortress.” The citadel’s curtain walls and flanking towers rise 52 to 60 feet before being capped with battlements. Equally imposing and impressive is the mammoth size: 174 by 230 feet. This is one of the best examples of a fortified monastery from the Middle Ages. In 1999, the 900 year old Monastery of St. John and the 1,900 year old Holy Cave of the Apocalypse were declared to be a combined UNESCO World Heritage Site.