Wat Chaiyamangkalaram is a Thai Buddhist Temple located in Pulau Tikus, a suburb of George Town. The wat (Thai name for temple) was founded in 1845 when Queen Victoria gifted five acres to immigrants from Thailand known as Malaysian Siamese. Approximately 50,000 Thai Malaysians live in the country today. Most of them practice Theravāda Buddhism. This temple is an unusual site in Malaysia but mirrors those found in Thailand, Cambodia, Myanmar and Laos.