Three fortresses were built during the 16th and early 17th centuries to protect Havana. The Fuera, Morro and Punta castles are featured in Havana’s coat of arms. This is Castle of Tres Reyes del Morro located at the north entrance of the harbor. Construction of the Castle of the Three Kings lasted 41 years. When it was finished in 1630, El Morro was considered impenetrable. History proved that assumption wrong. The 82 foot tall Faro Castillo del Morro was built in 1845, making it the oldest of Cuba’s approximate 50 lighthouses.