El Convento was founded in the mid-17th century for nuns in the Order of the Blessed Virgin Mary of Mount Carmel. The initial Carmelite sisters arrived from Santo Domingo in the Dominican Republic. The first building was replaced with the current one two hundred years later. This canary-yellow façade was the entrance to the monastery’s chapel. The property closed in 1903 and then reopened in 1962 as a boutique hotel. After another extensive renovation about thirty years later, it became the Hotel El Convento.