The Eilean Donan Castle is located on a small island at the juncture of three lochs: Duich, Long and Aish. Its namesake is Saint Donnán of Eigg, a 7th century Irish priest. The first fortification was built here during the early 13th century by the Scottish nobles called Lord of the Isles. Late in the 1200s, it was owned by Clan Mackenzie. The Mackenzies expanded the fort and maintained control for centuries despite several battles among neighboring clans. The castle met its fate during the Jacobite rising of 1719. After three ships from the Royal Navy bombarded the castle from sea, they completely destroyed the Eilean Donan using 27 barrels of gunpowder. It was rebuilt during the early 20th century.