In 1859, a wooden eagle was raised to mark the boundary of Brigham Young’s property. Visitors had to pay a toll to pass by and enter City Creek Canyon. The current Eagle Gate Monument spans 76 feet across North State Street. The bronze bird has a 20 foot wingspan. The arch weighs about two tons. The sculpture was created in 1963 by George C. Young, a distant relative of the famous LDS Church leader.