In 1738, Augustus III of Poland and Elector of Saxony (reign 1733 – 1763) commissioned Gaetano Chiaveri to design this magnificent Baroque edifice as the Catholic Court Church. When Katholische Hofkirche was finished in 1751, it was connected to the Royal Place (on the right) by a bridge. In 1964, the landmark was designated as the Cathedral of the Holy Trinity. The balustrades are adorned with 78 statues representing rulers, saints, Apostles and biblical figures. The original 11.5 foot sculptures were designed by sculptor Lorenzo Mattielli. The cathedral’s sandstone bell tower on the left is 282 feet tall and crowned with a copper dome. Inside of Katholische Hofkirche are the graves of Augustus III and 48 other members of the Wettin family dynasty, the long-time rulers of Saxony.