The town of York was established in 1793 by the first Lieutenant Governor of Upper Canada. This site for the new capital of Upper Canada was selected because of its natural harbor along Lake Ontario. The port grew rapidly during the 19th century, especially after the War of 1812 ended. As commercial and passenger traffic increased, the city built a series of custom houses. The Dominion Public Building served this role when finished in 1935. The federal government building continued to house the Canada Revenue Agency until 2017 when the property was sold to a developer. Plans are underway to construct two apartment skyscrapers on the land yet retain portions of this Federal Heritage Building.