15 Dominican friars from the Order of the Preachers arrived in Santo Domingo in 1510. About 25 years later, they finished constructing a religious compound consisting of a convent, church and the first university in the Americas: Saint Thomas Aquinas (Universidad de Santo Tomás de Aquino). The chapel was hastily built in 1532. When it proved unstable, it was reconstructed in the late 16th century and then again in 1681. The last restoration was in 1746. Inside are five chapels worth visiting.