The elevated position of Plaza de San Francisco provides a superb view of the two green-tiled domes of La Iglesia de la Compañía de Jesús. It took 160 years to construct this marvelous Roman Catholic church. The predominate Spanish Baroque design was begun by the Jesuits in 1605. The Church of the Society of Jesus was finished in 1765, two years before the Jesuits were expelled from Ecuador. Inside is the grave of Mariana de Jesús de Paredes. She was the first Ecuadorian to be canonized and the patron saint of the country. In the center is the white bell tower of the Cathedral of Quito at Plaza Grande.