Hospital de la Caridad (Hospital of Charity) was formed in 1693. A church was added in 1744. Nearly 150 years later, it was replaced with the current Neoclassical design by architect Tomás de Tallarie. In 2012, the Catholic church was designated as a minor basilica. Inside is the revered sculpture of Virgen de la Caridad. Sculptor Giacomo Colombo was commissioned by the hospital to create the religious carving in 1723. The Virgin of Charity is a patroness of Cartagena.