When it opened in 1881, the Denver Union Station’s name reflected its consolidation of four terminals serving Denver. After a fire destroyed the station in 1894, it was rebuilt in a Romanesque Revival style. The depot underwent another upgrade in 1914, giving it a Beau-Arts facelift. The bright orange “Travel by Train” sign was added in 1958 to try to compete with growing air traffic. The historic Union Station is now an inter-modal facility for Amtrak trains, light rail and buses plus houses a hotel, shops and restaurants.