Flanking the west end of the Civic Center is the City and County Building. Architect Edward Bennett conceived the Beaux-Arts Neoclassical design in 1917. The lavish government building was not completed until 1932. In the center of the concave wings and at the top of the steps is a granite portico supported by a dozen Corinthian columns. The 51-foot clock tower is capped with a golden eagle.