The two distinct construction phases of the Denver Central Library create an architectural contrast within the Civic Center Cultural Complex of the Golden Triangle neighborhood. The building on the left was called the Fisher/Hoyt Central Library when it opened in 1956. The design by Burnham Hoyt is now listed by the U. S. National Register of Historic Places. The salmon-colored addition was drawn by architect Michael Graves and was finished in 1995. Denver’s library system began in 1889.