There are six historic buildings within the 27 acre Christiansted National Historic Site. They date from 1749 through 1856. Highlights managed by the U.S. National Park Service include Fort Christiansvaern (1749), the Guinea Company Warehouse (1749), the Steeple Building (1753), the Customs House (1830) and the Scale House (1856). In the center is a green space named D. Hamilton Jackson Park. David Hamilton Jackson (1884 – 1946) was a leading activist leader for civil rights, press freedom, unionization and U.S. citizenship. This concert gazebo at the park has a placid view of Protestant Cay across a narrow channel in Christiansted Harbor.