The interior of St. Stephen’s Basilica is adorned with marble, statuary, paintings and mosaics. Especially beautiful is the artwork reaching towards the cupola. The most honored possession is from the basilica’s namesake. Saint Stephen was the Grand Prince of the Hungarians before becoming the country’s founder and first king from 1000 – 1038 AD. In 1083, during his canonization, numerous miracles occurred including healing of the sick. His right hand, also called the Holy Dexter or Holy Right, is enshrined in the basilica and carried in procession on his Hungarian feast day of August 20.