When visiting Port Arthur, it is easy to miss seeing The Dockyard located southwest of the ferry landing. Venturing down the waterfront trail is worth it for the scenery and history. This shipyard began in 1834 under the command of John Watson, the first Master Shipwright. Up to 70 prisoners were tasked with building and repairing vessels. Unlike other places in the prison, Watson treated the men and boys with respect while teaching them a useful trade. This approach was continued by his successor, David Hoy (1836 – 1848). This woman is standing in front of The Limekiln. The fire pit was used for twenty years starting in 1854 to help produce mortar, plaster and fertilizer.