This Catholic seminary was founded in 1832 with the mission to educate young men as priests. The Seminario Conciliar de San Ildefonso evolved into a prestigious school for physics and chemistry. Then additional departments were added including literature, mathematics and geometry. After the school moved in 1948, the building was a convent until it closed in 1972. After an extensive renovation, Seminario Conciliar reopened in 1986 as the Center for Advanced Studies of Puerto Rico and the Caribbean.