The French constructed a law court and legislative building on this site across from the market. In 1798, the British replaced it with this two-story structure for their House of Assembly and Law Courts. The court system for Saint Vincent and the Grenadines consists of eleven Magisterial Courts, the Family Court and the High Court. There is also an Eastern Caribbean Court of Appeals with jurisdiction over several Caribbean islands. Final appeals can be made to Her Majesty’s Privy Council in London.