The 326 foot Conwy Suspension Bridge was built over the River Conwy in 1826. It features four towers with battlements similar in design to the adjacent castle. After a new bridge was built next to it in 1958, this treasure of the National Trust became a footbridge. It was designed by civil engineer Thomas Telford. He was commissioned for so many highways and bridges in the United Kingdom during the early 19th century he was nicknamed the Colossus of Roads. In 2011, Telford was inducted into the Scottish Engineering Hall of Fame.