In 1563, Bishop Francisco Marroquín allocated land for a convent. 15 years passed before four sisters from the Order of the Immaculate Conception arrived from Mexico. They constructed Nuestra Señora de la Concepcion near the Achiguate River in 1620. This city’s first female monastery grew to over 1000 nuns plus female students and servants. The convent was wealthy and filled with religious art. This Baroque Spanish Catholic church was added in 1729. The complex was crippled during an earthquake in 1751 and destroyed by the massive tremor in 1773. The Church and Convent of Our Lady of the Conception were abandoned the following year.