Carmelite nuns founded a monastery near Quito in 1669 then moved to the capital city at the start of the 18th century. This Convent of El Carmen Bajo was built in 1706 and the attached church in 1745. In the center is an elegant wooden door with carvings blending indigenous and Moorish designs. This is where military hero Antonio José de Sucre was secretly buried after his assassination in 1830. When his body was discovered 70 years later, it was reinterred in the Cathedral of Quito.