In the 16th century, friars from the Order of Saint Augustine established the Convent and Church of San Agustín. They were seized by the state during the Ecclesiastical Confiscation of Mendizábal (1835 to 1837) when all monasteries were abolished and their property auctioned. After the expulsion, the City of Málaga used San Agustín for various administrative functions. In 1918, the buildings were given back to the Augustinians. The old convent became a school until 1972 when it was acquired by the University of Málaga. The church continues to provide Catholic services.