19th century Stillwater is most associated with lumbering. However, saw mills were not the only commerce powered by the St. Croix River. There were also flourmills. In 1898, the Woodward Elevator Company built this grain elevator. It was relocated in 1904 and then operated by several milling companies. 15 years later, it was purchased by the Commander Company. Although they sold it in 1961, the city landmark is still called the Commander Elevator. It was last used for grain storage in 1986. The historic property is now the Tin Bins restaurant.