Frederiksted is the second largest town in Saint Croix with a population of about 1,000. The Historic District begins at the end of Frederiksted Pier. Along the boardwalk is the Eliza James-McBean Clock Tower. Frederiksted is named after Frederick V of Denmark and Norway. In 1754, the king assumed control of the Danish West Indies consisting of Saint Thomas, Saint John and Saint Croix. After the three islands were purchased by the United States in 1917, they became the U.S. Virgin Islands.