Among the amenities at Harriet Island Regional Park is the Clarence W. Wigington Pavilion, a 5,000 square foot event venue. The recreational facility was called Harriet Island Pavilion when it opened in 1941. In 1998, it was renamed to honor Clarence Wigington. When he was hired as a draftsman in 1915, Wigington became the first African-American municipal architect in St. Paul and the country. By the end of his illustrious career in 1949, “Cap” had created 90 of St. Paul’s public buildings for schools, fire stations and parks plus the zoo and airport. 60 of his structures still stand. Four of them, including this pavilion, are protected as National Register of Historic Places.