At the eastern edge of Port Arthur are three houses known collectively as Civil Officers’ Row. The first home (not shown) was constructed in 1847 for the Visiting Magistrate. This judge heard convict cases in the Law Court. At times, it also served as the residence for the Senior Medical Officer. Its neighbor – this Roman Catholic Chaplain’s House – was built three years prior. It is a bit surprising to learn a Catholic priest was welcome at Port Arthur given Britain’s predominate Anglican faith. But the chaplain was allowed to conduct mass in the back of his home for Catholic prisoners and later inside The Penitentiary’s chapel. The last and youngest of the triad became the Junior Medical Officer’s House (not shown) when it was finished in 1848.