In 1634, Jesuit College (Collège des Jésuites) was founded on the hill overlooking Rue des Jardins. After the British forced the secondary school to close in 1759, the property was used as a military barracks. In 1878, the structure was demolished to make way for the new City Hall. Hôtel de Ville de Québec opened in 1896. The National Historic Site of Canada still houses the mayor and the 21 representatives of the Québec City Council.