Nevsky Prospekt is a primary boulevard in Saint Petersburg and a popular shopping and entertainment district. Many landmarks are located on this street including the City Duma Tower. The Neo-Renaissance bell tower was constructed in 1804. This city hall housed the offices of Saint Petersburg’s mayor and city council members. The City Duma system of governance was established in 1785 by Catherine the Great. During the 19th century, the City Duma Tower also served as a lookout for fires and was an optical telegraph station.