Church of the Merced in Ronda, Spain - Encircle Photos

Church of the Merced in Ronda, Spain

The Church of Merced is what remains of a late 16th century hospital and the San Jorge convent founded by the Mercedaries. The Order of Mercy was established in 1218 to free captive Christians from the Muslims. The order then moved to Ronda in 1522 and built Iglesia Convento La Merced in 1585. The convent closed in 1822. However, the church is still open, managed by the Discalced Carmelites and part of the Catholic Diocese of Málaga. Inside is a 17th century, jeweled relic of Saint Teresa of Avila.

VIEW MAP

Calle Carlos Cobo Gómez, 2, 29400 Ronda, Spain

Directions

Share this Photo