The original Church of the Gesù was built in Rome in 1580. That mother church of the Society of Jesus (Jesuits) was the inspiration for the naming and design of the Church of the Gesù in Montreal. The 47,000 square foot, Baroque Revival design by architect Patrick Keely was finished in 1865. In the lower level is the Gesù Creativity Center. The 425 seat auditorium and smaller performing halls host a rich schedule of concerts and plays.