Bishop Joseph Cretin founded Church of the Assumption in 1856 to serve early German immigrants to St. Paul. It seems fitting its second church built by Bavarian architect Joseph Reidel would be modeled after the Romanesque Revival design of Ludwigskirche in Munich. The Catholic church was dedicated in 1874. Within the twin spires are several bells including an original one from the mid-19th century. Assumption Catholic Church is located in the heart of downtown and is part of the Archdiocese of Saint Paul and Minneapolis.