Tucked into Mariacki Square and in the shadows of the adjacent St. Mary’s Church is the Church of St. Barbara. This began as a cemetery chapel in the 14th century. In 1518, the Gethsemane chapel was given the elegant white Gothic design seen on the left. Then the red brick Baroque church was built around it in 1687. A highlight of the interior is a sculpture of the Virgin Mary holding the body of Jesus. The Pieta dates from 1410. The Roman Catholic church is maintained by the Jesuits.