Iglesia de Santo Tomé was constructed in the early 12th century and then extensively modified by commission of Gonzalo Ruíz de Toledo, the Lord of Orgaz, in the early 14th century. During that remodeling, a previous minaret was refashioned into this Mudéjar-style bell tower. Inside the church is one of the most famous works by El Greco from 1588 named The Burial of the Count of Orgaz. The painting portrays a miracle when Saints Stephen and Augustine escorted Don Gonzalo Ruíz into Heaven when he died in 1323. The Church of St. Thomas the Apostle stands adjacent to the Palacio de Fuensalida on Plaza del Conde Toledo.