In 1564, a Jesuit college and adjoining church were founded on the edge of present-day Plaza de la Catedral. After they were destroyed by Anglo-Dutch troops in 1596, only the Church of Santiago (Santiago Apóstol) was rebuilt in 1647. The octagonal bell tower was added in the 18th century. Iglesia de Santiago is seen through the western city gate. The Arch of Santiago was constructed in the 13th century by order of Alfonso X, the King of Castile and León. Now it is called El Archo de la Rosa. The namesake for the Rose Arch is the Our Lady of the Rose chapel. Others claim it was named after Captain Gaspar de la Rosa.