During the Muslim occupation of Granada, Aljama al-Xarea mosque was perched high on a hill overlooking the city. At the start of the 16th century, it was torn down. Most of the mosque’s building materials plus tombstones were repurposed to construct the Church of San Cristóbal. It was considerably expanded by 1559. The goal of the bland façade and bell tower was to not further alienate the Muslims. The church is dedicated to Saint Christopher, a martyr from the mid-3rd century.