There have been three churches built atop the bedrock (Rock of Agony) believed to be the site of Jesus’ prayers in the Garden of Gethsemane. The first was a Byzantine basilica in the 4th century and the second was a Crusader chapel from the 12th century. The current one is the Basilica of the Agony. The Roman Catholic Church was designed by architect Antonio Barluzzi and consecrated in 1924. The façade is very attractive. Standing on columns are statues of the Four Evangelists (Mark, Luke, Matthew and John). Above them is a mosaic of Jesus along with the Greek letters for Alpha and Omega. They indicate He is the beginning and the end, as well as the link between God and humans. This is often called the Church of All Nations because a dozen countries funded the construction.