Two prior Catholic churches stood on this site near the Bishop’s Palace. The earliest was from the 11th century. The second was built in 1210. It was ceased in 1534 by King Henry VIII when he claimed supremacy over Catholicism during the Reformation of Ireland. This was in retaliation over Pope Clement VII for not granting an annulment to his first wife, Catherine of Aragon, so he could marry the sister of his mistress, Anne Boleyn. This Cathedral of The Holy Trinity was finished in 1779 and serves the Church of Ireland. Commonly called the Christ Church Cathedral, its Georgian design was drawn by John Roberts, a famous local architect.