In 1684, while the Bahamas was an English colony, the Parish of Christ Church was the first to offer Christian services on the island. It was soon destroyed by the Spanish. Three replacements were built during the 18th century. The fifth and current Gothic structure was constructed with limestone in 1841. The impressive clock tower dates back to 1830. The Christ Church Cathedral is the mother church of the Anglican faith in the Bahamas and the Turks and Caicos Islands.