Most of the walls encircling Ronda were constructed during the Islamic period (712 – 1485). Occasionally they were augmented in later centuries. The Puerta de Carlos V at the east end of the city is an example. The Charles V Gate, named after the ruler of both the Holy Roman and Spanish Empires, is from the 16th century. Next to it is the 13th century Almocábar Gate, a derivative of the Al-maqabir cemetery previously adjacent to the portal. Now this space is Plaza Ruedo Alameda within the San Francisco Quarter.