Between 1346 and 1378, Charles IV was Holy Roman Emperor and King of Bohemia (today’s Czech Republic). During his reign, he made Prague his capital. This resulted in significant growth and prosperity for the city. He also ordered the construction of the nearby Charles Bridge and New Town (Nové Město) plus established Charles University. This 13 foot bronze monument of the 14th century emperor – often called the father of the country – was created by sculptor Ernst Julius Hähnel and erected at Křižovnické náměstí in 1848.