Chapel of the Rosary from Sundial Plaza in Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic

Often overlooked from Sundial Plaza is this humble white building on the opposite bank of the Ozama River. This land is where Bartholomew Columbus founded La Nueva Isabela in 1496, the first settlement in the Americas. The Spanish colony was moved in 1502 to the west side of the river and became Santo Domingo. Yet this Chapel of the Rosary was built in 1544 and then left behind by the colonists.

VIEW MAP

Calle Mercedes & Calle Las Damas, Santo Domingo 10210, Dominican Republic

Directions

Share this Photo