Francisco Dávila was an alderman in Santo Domingo in the mid-16th century. During his tenure, he commissioned the construction of a chapel adjacent to his residence. The small church with a two-tier belfry was finished in 1554. This served as a private chapel and mausoleum for him and his descendants plus the Orvando family. When the structure was near ruins, it was extensively restored in 1884. Two years later, the chapel was renamed Our Lady of Remedies (Capilla de Nuestra Señora de los Remedios).