On the Lassi Peninsula are deep holes along the shoreline called Katavothres. This geological phenomenon seemed to swallow the sea into caverns with no apparent exit. In 1963, a team of geologists discovered the water travels through the island for nearly two weeks before draining into Melissáni Lake. These ravines were first used by Stevens in 1835 to drive a watermill. Today the area is a restaurant with outdoor seating for great views of the bay. Next to it is an old wooden waterwheel.