The Central Bank Act of 1942 gave birth to the Central Bank of Ireland the following year. Among other responsibilities, they printed the country’s currency, the Irish Pound, before it was replaced by the Euro in 2002. Their regulatory role of the country’s financial firms was severely tested during the banking crisis beginning in 2008. This layered concrete building by architect Sam Stephenson on Dame Street had been their headquarters since 1978. The central bank moved to a new, eight-level glass façade structure on North Wall Quay in 2016.