Prior to the 1830s, British officers attended services at King’s Chapel. But there was not a Protestant church for Gibraltar citizens. In 1823, Governor John Pitt, Earl of Chatham, submitted a proposal for a new church. The Colonial Office delayed approval until 1825. Before this building was finished in 1832, it became a hospital to treat victims of yellow fever. This plague killed nearly 10,000 soldiers and citizens during outbreaks in Gibraltar from 1804 through 1828. In 1838, this was finally consecrated as an Anglican church and became a cathedral in 1842. The Cathedral of the Holy Trinity has a distinctive Moorish Revival design with several horseshoe arches gracing the yellow and white façade.