In 1803, Captain-mor of Pará, the Count of Arcos, established a missionary in the village and placed Friar José das Chagas in charge. He built a small church in the present-day Christ the Redeemer Square. Three decades later, it became the Catholic parish of Nossa Senhora do Carmo of Tupinambarana. This third church of the same name was erected in 1981 based on the design of Italian architect Giovanni Butori. On top of the 130 foot bell tower is a statue of Nossa Senhora (Virgin of Carmo). The Cathedral of Our Lady of Carmo was paid for by a 23-year fundraising campaign. Part of this campaign launched the Folklore Festival in 1966. Our Lady of Carmel is the patroness of Parintins.