Denver’s first Catholic church was built in 1860 and was called St. Mary’s Parish Church. The city’s first cathedral – Cathedral Basilica of the Immaculate Conception – was finished in 1911. Architect Leon Coquard is responsible for the church’s French Gothic design and twin bell towers. The façade is a combination of Indiana limestone and Colorado granite. This mother church of the Archdiocese of Denver is listed by the U. S. National Register of Historic Places.